Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Pumpkins and Pickiness!

Truth be known, I do not enjoy putting my hand in cold, slimy, pumpkin guts, but my kids LOVE IT!  So...I take the pics!!  We grew these pumpkins all summer, and the kids had their pumpkin picked out in the garden weeks ago.  Karl loves to cook the seeds, (another thing I don't enjoy), and the kids love eating them.

How many of you..be honest...like Halloween?  I'll tell you why I dread Halloween.  It can be summed up with one word...COSTUMES!  Not to mention the holiday is all dark, gory, and evil..but back to the costumes.  So Taylor told me in July, yes July, that he wanted to be a vampire.  We have had his costume ready for months, and I thought to myself, "maybe this year won't be a costume nightmare..", Ooooh how wrong I was!  The kid started changing his mind 4 days before Halloween, and was in genuine turmoil over it.  All day I'd hear, "I just don't know what to be!"
I'd reply..."a vampire."
Taylor:  "no, I don't want to be that anymore."
Me:  "but you look so cute as a vampire." ooops...
Taylor:  "I don't want to look like a CUTE VAMPIRE!"
Me:  "I mean, you look all creepy and everything."
Taylor:  "no, I just don't know what to be."
He finally decided he would call on the family for help.  At the dinner table he announced that he would be having a contest to see who could pick out the best costume, and to bring it to the family room after dinner.  We all obliged, and produced our best ideas from the dress up bins. (and his dresser, which happens to be full of costumes..aaagh!)
This is what we came up with for his approval:
We each took a turn to describe our costume ideas, and to try to convince him to choose something. We had an army man, Spidy, an Indian, a Nephite, a mummy, How to Train your Dragon guy (last years costume), a baker, and I even tried the vampire thing again. 

He still went to bed discouraged.  I'm embarassed to admit that I caved, and took him to the store.  He ended up looking like an...
ALIEN! 
Soooo not my first choice, but he paid for 1/2, and I was exhausted!

Alyssa:  Lavendar Brown (Harry Potter)
Parker:  Harry Potter
Connor: guy in a toga
Ashlyn:  rock star
Taylor...well you know!

No comments:

Post a Comment