Sunday, April 26, 2009

Bees and Primary

Today I was finishing the lunch dishes (church gets out at 12:00pm) and made the proclamation that "the kitchen is now closed until dinner time!" Taylor perked right up, and ran into the cooking area where I was standing and exclaimed,

"Oh, no it's not, I can still get in!"

He had this smug smile on his face that cracked us all up.

Today in Primary, our Jr. Primary was sooo noisy for all of the announcements and sharing time. The leaders and teachers had tried to quiet the kids down several times without much luck, (I think the 2nd counselor went home hoarse...) so by the time it was my turn for singing time, I was very worried.

So I got up, put my mouth really close to the microphone and in a low, quiet voice, told them about a strange thing that came to my backyard a couple summers ago. I explained that I could hear a low, kind of humming sound coming from one of my fruit trees. It sounded like this..."bzzz....." (still talking quietly in the microphone).

The kids were dead silent, then exclaimed "they were BEES!"

"Yes! About 20,000 of them!" I responded.

And you guys kind of remind me of those bees!" Suddenly, to my detriment, their eyes brightened up and they all started buzzing!!

"No, No, No!" I protested. "It isn't a good thing!" I tried to explain that if only one bee was buzzing I probably wouldn't have heard it, but because they all were, it was noisy. Only one bee is allowed to buzz right now, and do you know who the queen bee is?

They smiled and replied..."You!"

"Yes. Thank you."
Throughout the remaining 20 minutes, I occasionally heard little 4 yr. olds making buzzing noises...in fact I over heard the four yr. old teacher pull aside one very cute blond buzzer and say, "no really, she doesn't want you to do that..."

1 comment: