Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Relief

I am naturally a de-junker.  
I am not particularly sentimental, and I don't collect things.  (well, maybe shoes...)  I actually feel an oppressive weight on my chest when a pile starts to collect in my house.  My motto is 
"only keep what you are actually going to use in the next year."  
This means I don't keep bed sheets for years and years "just in case", if I didn't use a holiday decoration that year, out it goes...papers from my kids go in a labeled bin, but I'm VERY PARTICULAR in what I store, it has to be something pretty special.  I no longer save clothes from one child to another.  I've found my kids have different tastes, and my girls are too far apart for the styles to still be cute 8 years later.   
So with that said, I have found a flaw in my resolve to not save unnecessary stuff!
Everyday Food magazines...
let me explain...
My mother in law subscribed to these magazines and is an excellent cook.  I am always wanting to try and spice up my 30 day menu for my family, so when she gave these to me...ah...hem...in 2008...I made a goal to find at least one recipe in each magazine to try.  Now, in 2008 I had a 4yr. old who was a failure to thrive eater, and who required great amounts of energy in keeping him healthy, not the time to try new, organic, "creative" recipes.  So I stored these nuggets away in my closet.  About a year ago, I found them again, and decided to put them under my bed for a little light reading at night, hoping to realize my goal of expanding my recipe repertoire. 
Oh no...they have not seen the light of day!  
In fact, they have a layer of dust on them!  
I've been a little under the weather and thought today would be a perfect time to dust them off and find some recipe ideas.  This is what I found:  Unless you cook with sauerkraut, scallions, figs, eggplant, polenta, coconut milk, and exotic cheeses, there is NOTHING, I say NOTHING in there for you!!  Yeah, I've been saving these recipes for NOTHING!!!!  So sad, but have learned my lesson.  Out they go, into my recycle bin and now I'm smiling...no more guilt lying under my bed!
Thank goodness I have Pinterest!!  


2 comments:

  1. Don't you think it is ironic that "Everyday Foods" uses foods that aren't everyday?? I hate recipes like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what are you talking about??!! I use Scallions and polenta in my everyday cooking all the time! ;)

    ReplyDelete