Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Steer Clear of Ordinary!

We enjoyed a gorgeous, I mean GORRRRGEOUS day at Solitude Ski Resort on Saturday!  This was the resort that my dad broke his leg on last year, so I was a little leary of returning, but all went well! 

Parker, Connor, Rachael and I met up with my brother Ryan, and my mom.  We got there around noon, and decided to start with lunch. Peanut butter and banana sandwiches...YUM!
As we packed up our stuff and got ready to head to the slopes, I heard Connor say,

"Let's go take down this mountain!" 
That's my boy!
OK, so this picture is significant!  I had been skiing some pretty benign slopes, and then... my mom took me on a different lift, where I found myself standing at the top of what looked like a cliff to me! 
"Shall I just get on my bum and slide down? I'm in major TROUBLE!!" I thought. 

But inch by inch, I traversed the mountain and finally made it to the bottom!  I know it doesn't look like much, but it was steep, I promise!  Sooo darn proud of myself!!
The kids skied with Ryan most of the day, but finally we saw them towards the end. I love, love, love to watch my kids ski and snowboard!  They are so good!
Grandma and Connor.  This was our last run, and I was feeling quite confident. (remember the big hill?)  Connor and Rachael were going down this last run with us, and I decided to show off a little.  I don't like the steep runs, but I like speed, so I decided to go fast and pass up the kids.  I knew I needed to turn as I neared the edge of the groomed trail, but didn't, and found myself hitting a small branch in the snow, and flipping over.  Connor came quickly to my rescue:
 
"Are you alright mom?  Wow, you were hauling!"  

While flat on my back, skiis and poles everywhere, I squeeked out, "did it look awesome?" 

"oh, yeah!  You're really good!"
Mission accomplished!

On our way home we saw this tag line on the side of a shuttle bus.  It's my new motto:
Steer Clear of Ordinary! 
I added, "and any branches in your path!"

No comments:

Post a Comment